Home > Make a Complaint

Make a Complaint

If we’ve let you down, tell us

We want everyone who uses Citizens Advice to be happy with the service we provide.

That’s why, if we’ve let you down, we want to hear from you –no matter how big or small the issue is.

Often, we’ll be able to put things right. And even when we can’t, knowing where we’ve gone wrong will help us do better in the future.

We promise to deal with every complaint quickly, professionally and confidentially.

Asking us to resolve the problem

It’s important to us to know what we’ve done wrong, so we can do our best to put it right.

Don’t be afraid to speak to our Manager or person in charge of complaints. They will often be able to solve the problem straight away and informally with you.

If they can’t, or you’re still not happy, you can make a formal complaint.

Making a formal complaint

There are several ways to make a complaint. You can write a letter explaining what happened and send it to our Feltham office address at the bottom of this page or drop it into the local Citizens Advice centre you are complaining about.

Alternatively, you can call or email the Citizens Advice Feedback team using the details above and they will pass your complaint to the right person.

Your complaint will be investigated by someone who isn’t directly involved. If it’s upheld, we’ll apologise fully –and, if appropriate, let you know what we’re doing to put things right.

We aim to respond to every complaint within eight weeks. If it’s going to take longer than this, we’ll explain why and keep you informed of progress.

Asking for a review

If you feel we haven’t dealt with your complaint properly, or you aren’t satisfied with the outcome, you can ask us to review the decision via the Feedback team.

Please make sure you ask for this within four weeks of receiving the decision – see details below. The review will be overseen by our Chief Executive.

Using an independent adjudicator

If you are still not happy with the decision, you can refer your complaint to an independent adjudicator.

An independent adjudicator is someone unconnected with Citizens Advice who will decide whether we’ve dealt with your complaint fairly.

If you want to progress to this stage, you must contact us within four weeks of receiving your review decision from Citizens Advice. Contact the Feedback team using the details below.

Contacting the Financial Ombudsman Service

The Financial Ombudsman Service provides a free, independent service for clients to solve disputes with notfor profit debt advice providers.

The Financial Ombudsman Service will only step in once a local Citizens Advice has had the opportunity to investigate a complaint, so please contact the local service first.

If your complaint is about debt advice or if you were seeking advice about your credit record and you are not satisfied with the final response, or if eight weeks have passed since you first let us know about your concerns, you can ask the Financial Ombudsman to review your complaint.

Who to complain to

Citizens Advice Hounslow

Citizens Advice Hounslow
Chief Executive Officer
The Centre, High Street
Feltham TW13 4GU
email hidden; JavaScript is required

Financial Ombudsman Service

By post:
Financial Ombudsman Service
South Quay Plaza
183 Marsh WallLondon E14 9SR

By email:
email hidden; JavaScript is required

By phone:
0800 023 4567 –free for people phoning from a ‘fixed’ line (eg a landline at home).

0300 123 9123 –free for mobile phone users who pay a monthly charge for calls to numbers starting 01 and 02.

To contact the Citizens Advice Feedback team

03000 231 900
email hidden; JavaScript is required

Download a Complaints Leaflet

Download a Complaints Leaflet